Saturday, August 6, 2011

garnets

Small first steps.
Anne has been experimenting with canning and doing a marvelous job. I tried my hand at it this week and the result: 3 exquisite jars of pickled beets. Though not a king's ransom, I couldn't be happier. I was able to stay in the moment for the entire endeavor, really noticing the steam in the kitchen, the vinegar filling my nostrils, the click of the canning lid, the beauty of the beets in their brine.
I feel positively wealthy knowing they are waiting in our growing larder.
This season's vegetable bed has been a learning experience from every perspective. Next season I'll be able to take into account the foodstuffs I'd like to put by and plan accordingly. More than one row of beets for sure.

1 comment:

  1. I could really imagine all of your senses engaged in this process, Sharon. The results are as visually beautiful as the satisfaction you must feel!

    ReplyDelete