Sunday, January 27, 2013

mental photographs

I, like perhaps millions of others this late January Sunday, am dealing with a head cold. Energy is low and interest in projects that require concentration not so keen. I'm reading Jenniefer Chiaverini's new novel "Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker," and dozing from time to time. Mother Nature is dealing a hand of snow, sleet, ice and rain blown about with gusts that cause some rattling and an ice buildup on the east side of the house. Just now, as I checked on the chickens for the last time before they sleep, there was considerable ice on their gate latch and food canister. Happily, all was snug and comfortable for them within. And now I can remain snug within as well.
I've been exploring the updates on my computer, thank you Matthias. A good way to spend time inside on a miserable weather day with only a cat for company. Before long I drifted to my photo collection. Not surprisingly there emerged a clear pattern: the cats, the sky, plants inside and out, quilts from many shows, projects, planned,  in process, and completed, the chickens, the landscape outside the farmhouse windows, a little bit of travel, and people I love. I was surprised, however, by how many moments I had forgotten and that I have 10,955 photos just on this computer. This does not include those I've already sent to the remote drive. Holy cow. Many of these are terrible photos. But each is representative of a moment in my life that I felt I needed to capture and cling to. That I couldn't bare to let disappear. That spoke right into me.
How fortunate, then, that I have a simple digital camera and a reliable computer that make it possible. If I had access to these tools when I was younger, when my children were young, throughout my creative life! Staggers the mind.


In the days, weeks ahead I will return to my photos again and again, organizing galleries and perhaps choosing some to make into greeting cards. And I'll continue to add to the collection as each day brings countless opportunities to take more pictures.  For today I have found grace in bounty, riches. I've been reminded once again just how blessed I am.
I wish the same for each of you.

3 comments:

  1. Wishing you a quick recovery, Sharon, but I can't think of a better way to spend time healing than what you are doing. Your photo of Dovey beneath a beautiful lamp, with a gorgeous orchid in the background is heartwarming.
    I'm so glad that you are enjoying the richness of your photo collection. I know that I always appreciate the images that you share with us here.
    Sending you healing thoughts. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you wishes for a healthy turn around soon, Sharon! You sound so snug and cozy and contented, despite your low energy level. Sometimes being a bit under the weather gives us permission to revel in things we don't usually make time for...like looking at old photos. There is nothing like sifting through rich and sweet memories.

    May you an Dovey enjoy a good snuggle and feel better soon!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that you are feeling better from your head cold Sharon. I never used to take many photos until I started blogging and now I find 'capturing the moment' so rewarding. Lovely moment of contentment for Dovey, cosy beneath the lamplight.

    ReplyDelete