Friday, July 17, 2015

Friday photos

Four years ago we ordered our first chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery. It is their custom to include a free "exotic" with your order. I believe this free bird is almost always going to be male. However, at the time our little Silver Polish was so astoundingly cute we referred to it as she. Then "she" crowed. In fact, she crowed before our two Road Island Red roosters let out their first attempts.



early June 2011
Aug. 31, 2011

Aug. 31, 2011


Oct. 9, 2011

These days he's most definitely feeling his responsibility as the Big Guy. In his vigilance, my legs are bruised up one side and down the other from his wings. I caught his spurs in my right knee cap two months ago and it still feels a bit tender.





Next week our new flock will be allowed free range of their enclosure. There is a 60 foot long common fence between the two chicken yards so the seniors and the newbies can get to know each other safely until the babes have put on some size and weight.
We ordered 15 females and were given a free "exotic" who appears to be an Araucona. This is the only chick in the new flock who keeps its distance and won't readily be handled. About the same size as our largest babes but with very strong, long legs and feet. I'm guessing this little one will grow up to crow.



Whatever the sexes of the new chicks, they will have to work out their own pecking order. In the meantime, we find it fascinating to watch and also interact with them several times a day.

2 comments:

  1. I love your Silver Polish! I love them all actually! The little 'Araucona' looks really sweet. If it were a female she'd be giving you blue eggs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all so interesting, Sharon. Your photos are wonderful, especially the top header! When I read your blog I feel like I'm entering another world. I hope your life on the farm is all that you hoped it would be!

    ReplyDelete