Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy birthday America

35 years ago today, as I rocked my infant daughter, America celebrated her 200th birthday and I watched the coverage on television of tall ships sailing into New York harbor near the Statue of Liberty. Sousa marches make my heart swell and bring tears to my eyes. Marching bands, especially the high school variety, make me hopeful that the next generation will get it all right this time.
I'm not always proud of the USA, but am totally grateful to be her citizen. Whether you wave the flag today, or your heart races at the sights and sounds of your neighbors marching in a parade, roast hotdogs and toast marshmallows, light a sparkler and write your name in the air against the night sky as it burns,  be safe celebrating today and when gathered with family and friends pause just long enough to be aware of our abundant blessings.


And if you are not near any fireworks displays, may you have nature's own with sunsets and fireflies.

Happy birthday, America.

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully expressed as always, Sharon, and what a lovely patriotic display in your home! Bill is just home from a trip to China (and jet lagged) so we're staying close to home and will watch the town fireworks from our porch!
    I love your beautiful sunset photo!
    Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with judy...beautifully expressed.

    ReplyDelete