Friday, April 22, 2011

half-square triangles

To quote from one of Jerome's favorite films,  Wizard of Oz, "Joy, rapture!"
They finally arrived today! My envelope of half-square triangles was in the mailbox when I returned from a day of errands on this rainy Good Friday. I had been listening to a recorded version of The Aloha Quilt in my car as I drove back and forth from Onalaska. I was really in the quilter's frame of mind.


For now, I've only taken the time to read each label just to know where they come from. I haven't even peeked at the fabric combinations yet. They're from England, Scotland, Finland, Netherlands, Switzerland, New Zealand, Australia, 5 Canadian provinces, and 44 states. And I didn't get a single one of my own back in the exchange. However did they accomplish the task?? Of the 560 who sent them, very few sent the exact same number of units. I sent 420 and was to receive 420 in return. I don't know if I'll bother to count, what will it matter?? There are also a few dozen in my collection that are unidentified, so I'll never know where they're from. That makes me a bit sad.  I haven't any idea how I'll keep track of their origins as I go about creating with them. For now it's enough just to feel the collective love and enthusiasm rising from this treasure.

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow......What happens to them now..........?
    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting to have a little bit of all those people and countries being part of a quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! Finally, some good mail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exciting, awesome, amazing!!!
    What a memorable quilt this will be! "Collective Love" for sure!!

    ReplyDelete