Sunday, August 5, 2018

lilies





We are making difficult decisions about our landscape that will be a better fit with our physical ability to care for our property as we continue to age. Changes are planned. Some have begun. But there will always be places for lilies in our gardens.
Reliable, undemanding, diverse, fragrant, beautiful. Bloom times extend throughout the season. All true.
Asiatics, turk's caps, orientals, trumpets, and the humble daylilies. I love them all.
I brought a few here from my garden in Illinois. Some were here when I arrived. Many I've added along the way. Here are a few:

stella d oro

big smile


happy returns

mary todd




casa blanca





stargazer



what Jerome calls ditch lilies, yes, I even love them for their tenacity



red volunteer


Are there lilies smiling in your garden?

Yes, it's been far too long since I've done a blog post. In the spring I graduated to an iPhone and have been using it to take photos and putting them on instagram. Some of what's there will show up here in the weeks to come. Some may not. You're welcome to look for me there. https://www.instagram.com/sallymomsprouts


Thanks for visiting.


4 comments:

  1. Check out my friend Ellen's website! https://www.pagodaponddaylilies.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a beautiful collection of lilies Sharon and so diverse too! I think my favorite has to be big smile! I don't have anything flowering in my garden at the moment. The long dry hot summer (which we are not accustomed to in the UK) has taken its toll on the garden. I'm back blogging at Linden Grove and have recently started posting on Instagram too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good words, Simone. Oh and thank you for letting me know about your instagram and also that you're back at Linden Grove. I've missed you. Truth be told August is my least favorite month of the year and I find gardening more of a trial than a treat right now. Hot and sweaty is not my thing!

      Delete
  3. Sharon, I'm sorry I missed this post. Your lilies are so beautiful - so many varieties! As I've said before, I'm a hopeless gardener, but I do love flowers and especially lilies. After reading your response to Simone's comment, I feel better. For me, summer is tough, especially this summer, as it has been extremely hot and humid, and gardening is not an option!

    ReplyDelete