Monday, January 15, 2018

Our first real snow of the season. Not quite finished with us yet, though the sun is trying to dissolve the gauzy veil across her face as tiny flakes continue.
A few views:

just beyond my sewing room/tiny guest room north window

west window next to my computer desk


upstairs sliders 
note the clay pot at the bottom of the picture: my mandevilla wintering over and climbing the bakers rack plant stand
gotta love that southern exposure!


and my beloved potting shed

There's no urgency to cleaning up the drive or walkways as we have all we need here at home, we're not expecting company, and there will be no mail delivery today. There are leftovers from yesterday's calzone luncheon in the frig, chili and soups in the freezer. I think I'll bake some cheese bread today to warm up the kitchen and fill the house with its divine smell. Oh, and brew lots of tea. 
Not sure if the local kids have a holiday or a snow day today. As an educator I can't help but think the best way to honor MLK would be to have the kids in school focusing on his life and times. Can youth  today truly comprehend his life and his passion? In 1968 did I, a naive college freshman, living in an all white middle class neighborhood on the NW side of Chicago? How have I changed since that day? How have you? 
How has America?? 
Worth some thought...

2 comments:

  1. I was a very impressionable 12 year old when MKL Jr was assassinated and I was devastated by the news footage on TV. When RFK was shot just a few months later I think I grew up overnight. I realized that evil and ignorance and hatred were powerful forces in this world. But it was in the midst of those dark days that I first felt called to stand in the way of injustice. Sometimes I've gotten tired along the way (especially right now), but I will persist. Thank you so much for your thoughtful post, Sharon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worth a great deal of thought, Sharon.
    Thank you for your beautiful photos and your thoughts about MLK, Yes, a day of study about this great man could be a more meaningful way to celebrate his life, but I'm glad he has been given a full holiday celebration for the good he did. As for me, I was young nun in a novitiate when he and RFK were assassinated and I remember well the shock, prayer and meditation that flooded our community. I wonder, really, how much has changed in our country since then. xo

    ReplyDelete